Constipation is such a common condition that millions of people seek some form of constipation relief each day. For those who get occasional constipation, one of the long lines of quick constipation remedies sold at drugstores provides immediate relief. However, there are many others who need chronic constipation remedies because they get constipated on a consistent basis.
There are several common causes of constipation, including pregnancy and older age. In otherwise healthy people, constipation can be brought on from surgery or certain types of medications. Not getting enough fiber or fluid in the diet is another reason thousands of people have to rely on constipation remedies to relieve their symptoms. Holding a bowel movement is can make the stool harder and bring on constipation. Low magnesium in the body can also result in problems passing the stool.
• Adding more fiber in your diet, especially insoluble fiber which can pass through the body unchanged. Foods that contain insoluble fiber include whole grains, fruits and vegetable.
• Make sure that you drink enough water, and watch your consumption of alcoholic and caffeinated beverages.
• Adding more magnesium in your diet. Magnesium can be found in foods such as green leafy vegetables, nuts, seeds, and whole grains.
• There are various different types of over the counter laxatives to remedy this problem. These laxatives contain such herbs as Cascara sagrada, Rhubarb, Aloe, and Buckthorn, which can be very effective for this problem. Another method is senna tea which is of course one of the popular methods discussed on this website. Although some of them can make things worse, as mentioned above, some of them actually work. Try different ones to make sure which one is right for you. Different remedies affect people differently so don’t be afraid to try many out and to take note of any side effects you feel might be caused by the laxative you chose.
• Other remedies includes such herbs as Barberry, Bladderwrack, Basil, Buckthorn, Cayenne, Dandelion, Fenugreek, Goldenseal, He shou wu, Honey, Milk thistle, Red raspberry leaf, Slippery elm, Triphala.
• Prunes and their “juice” contain the natural laxative dihydrophenylisatin which makes them a great laxative foods to add to your diet. As a bonus prunes also have a high quantity of antioxidants which is very good for your health in addition to being a great home remedy for constipation!
• Finally, make sure you do some daily physical exercise.
Several over the counter chronic constipation remedies contain the husk of the psyllium seed. Psyllium is a water soluble fiber that absorbs the fluid in the intestines and creates bulk in the stool that makes it easy to pass. A well known brand of fiber supplement that contains psyllium is Metamucil.
Other Constipation Relief Treatments
Biofeedback therapy is one of the relatively new constipation remedies that teach people how to use their muscles more efficiently when eliminating. It reports to treat the muscles in the pelvic floor which may not function properly due to conditions such as obesity or enlarged prostate. Acupressure is a healing practice known for relieving other problems in the body but has recently been used to treat constipation. Quick chronic constipation remedies that can be purchased over the counter include saline enemas and rectal suppositories.
Remedies for constipation symptoms can be different for each person depending on overall health, age and other factors. Also, infant constipation is possible and these remedies for constipation should also work as baby constipation remedies. People with health problems should consult with their doctor before starting treatment for constipation relief.
Constipation can cause permanent damage to ones health, making it important to act fast in case you have this problem. Although patients might have to make permanent life style changes to remedy this problem such as change of diet and doing more physical activity. If the problem persists for more then a few weeks, despite using the remedies mentioned above, than the patients should consult a doctor immediately.